Thursday, May 13, 2010

Living In: Frida

from Design*Sponge


If it isn’t already apparent, I’ve caught the summer dreaming bug. Warm nights spent outside, sipping some sort of something cold, wearing some sort of something colorful. This is when I slavishly turn to Julie Taymor’s Frida to pretend I’m not sitting alone in bed with two cats and a sink full of dishes, wearing umm…. a ratty old sweatshirt from the gap. Instead, I’m in Mexico City, swirling the night away. And I may or may not look like Salma Hayek.
multicolored mexican banners $6.95, antigua drop earrings $130, hanging pot $20, paper mache skull $16, potted bougainvillea plant $70, besme lipstick $15, artist palette $4, palette knife $2, Manchette Flake gold bracelet $290, NAME $, green aventurine and onyx necklace $850, Thonet era chair $150.



Frida’s balance of femininity, grace and strength just about knock me over, as does the thought of lush, hot 1930s Mexico. Walled gardens of flowering bougainvillea, braided hair, saturated colors, banners and lanterns and antique lace. And let’s not even think how heavenly the food must have tasted. Sadly, I’m light years away from realizing my vintage Mexico fantasies fully, but till then, it’s more red dresses and flowers in the hair for me. -amy m.
cotton cluny lace $5/yd, wood cascade easel $146, day of the dead figurine $10, hand blown glasses $14+, cactus from your local nursery, vintage painters brushes $10, avocado tree $70, vintage huaraches.

No comments:

Post a Comment